Friday 2 November 2012


Belgium-based writer wins $100,000 literature prize

Chika Unigwe
Belgium-based Nigerian writer, Chika Unigwe, got a big break on Thursday when she was named winner of the Nigeria Prize for Literature.
Her novel, On Black Sister’s Street, beat the two others shortlisted for the prize established in 2004 by the Nigeria LNG.
These are Only a Canvas by Olusola Olugbesan and Onaedo: The Blacksmith’s Daughter by Ngozi Achebe, a niece to foremost writer, Prof. Chinua Achebe.
With the victory, Unigwe, who had won the BBC Short Story Competition in 2004, has become $100,000 richer, following in the footsteps of Adeleke Adeyemi, who won it last year. 
The Chairman of the prize’s Board, Emeritus Professor  Ayo Banjo, announced Unigwe as the winner in Lagos at a press conference, based on the verdict of the jury led by Prof. Abiola Irele.
Although Unigwe was not at the event, since it was not yet the presentation day, a message she sent from her base indicates that she is pleasantly surprised, while the feat has re-assured her that she is on the right path as a writer.
She notes, “I am humbled by this win. I have read some of the writers on the long list of 10 and admired their works, and so to come this far with my book is incredibly humbling. I am honoured as well. 
“For a writer who constantly doubts her abilities, this is validation for me that maybe I am doing something right.  To win especially with this book, a book that taught me a lot about myself, is gratifying.”

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment