Thursday 7 March 2013

Welcome to Norwich


This is an extract from an essay i wrote when i first got here about why i chose to do an MBA.
I would like to know how many people can identify with what i felt and as for the cold, that is a different topic for another day.

Enjoy.................JCGold.


 My MBA Uk Position Statement 
Its 7.30am on a cold autumn morning and I am standing outside the third busiest airport in the world the London Heathrow airport terminal 5, waiting

for the National Express Coach to show up. It’s so cold and for the first time in my life, I can see air flowing out of my nostrils each time I exhale.
I look around and I see a lady standing a few meters behind me having a smoke. 

I can’t blame her, in this weather for even a self-acclaimed non-smoker like me, lighting up and burning something sounds like a pretty good idea.

The coach arrives thank God (10 minutes late I must comment) and I get in, huddled up in my little corner, tired, hungry and still cold, I ask myself “Joyce  what are you really doing here?” The decision to do a post graduate course in business administration was relatively an easy one for me to make. 
A second class upper division 2(1) in Geology only convinced me of one thing, that I did not want to become a Geologist (my dad worked in an oil company so I think subconsciously, I was trying to please him by studying Geology).

No wonder I left it behind soon after graduation, diving head first into the world of Television media and programming.

Four years in the television media industry taught me just 
how television and film production went beyond the lights, 
camera and action. 

I observed a deficiency in the management of the business side of media production in my company, the need to not only have creative writers and crew members to write and produce a script, but also a strong need for management and accounting expertise to manage the production company as a successful business entity that must exist in itself and earn money. 


This need really formed the basis for my desire to acquire a post graduate degree in business management and the rest they say is history.

No comments:

Post a Comment