Monday 5 June 2017

Domestic Violence



I represented a fashion house at the recent Da Viva African Fashion Week, the company used the opportunity to launch their new fabric collections and designs and continued till late. I and a few friends left at about 10:30pm at which point the show hadn't ended. 
I was driving and had to drop my girls at their homes since it was quite late. Mary was the second friend I dropped off by her gate. I had started the car to leave when she approached the car visibly shaken after struggling awhile with the gate. 
Her husband (who I later found out she wasn't yet married to but has a son for) had asked the gateman to lock the gate and collected the keys. 
"Call him now" we suggested to her, behold her phone was off, low battery.
"Use my phone" I offered but she didn't know his number off hand, 
Lord have mercy, if I took her to my house wouldn't I be accused of supporting her supposed wrong behavior but do I leave her outside at the mercy of the dangers of the night?


She begs the gateman to knock at the front door. After which her partner comes out stands by the door shouts "Who is there"? 
"Me" she replies the gate is locked.
"But you know why it is locked" he fires back, she moves her head in denial, he simply goes in and re-locks the door.
Mary afraid and visibly shaken at this point asks that I take her to a hotel, "even if I go in this man will beat me up". 
No the rest of us replied in unison.

With all the awareness it is sad to see domestic violence still buried in the fabrics of our society. I have no inside information to advocate for either parties in the above relationship but that a man who vowed to love, cherish and protect his partner should expose her to physical bodily damage is unacceptable.
I do not claim to be a marriage expert as every marriage is unique to the partners that form that union but spouses must devise a healthy mode of communicating with each other. Hurt, disappointment or anger (even at a spouse coming home late with phone switched off) can be communicated without any physical molestation.
Ephesians 5:22-25
Women must submit to their husbands, ladies please be careful not to challenge his position as the head of the home.
Men (who by no fault or choice of ours are at a physical advantage) should not apply their strength to beating up their wives into submission to ascertain their position as the head, v23 proves that you are the savior of the body and not a danger to it. 
Women do not Pack and Stay (wrong foundation) you place yourself in high levels of vulnerability when you simply get pregnant and move into a man's house with no formal marriage ceremony be it traditional, religious or civil. No it is not a guarantee against women beaters but it gives you the spiritual, moral and civil right to seek better treatment from your partner

My advice to her as I left (because he did eventually open the door minutes later), do not run your mouth, when questioned apologize, explain and re-apologize but if he tries to strike don't just stand there crying please run and lock yourself in a room. You have to be alive for the sake of your son. Prayer is the master key that unlocks every stronghold. Build up your prayer life and continually take him to God in prayer. 

Say No to domestic violence
May the good Lord uphold our homes in Jesus mighty name Amen.





















  



No comments:

Post a Comment