Friday 5 October 2012

OFALA MASQUERADE DISPLAY

I was going through my phone this evening, and i saw these pictures i took some time ago, at the Ofala Festival of Igwe Nnobi, Idemili South Local Government Area, Anambra State Nigeria, Afica. This is an annual or bi-annual(depending on the community or town) event, where the traditional head/leader (in my town Nnobi referred to as the Igwe) of the town, gets to meet and greet his subjects (indigenes of the community), entertain his friends, visitors and well wishers, and exhibit his prowess as a leader. 
It is part of our Igbo heritage, and is normally held during the holiday seasons like Christmas.This festival is marked by the display of masquerades (people in masks and traditional costumes), from different groups and age grades within the community. 

My humble self and my elder sister Ify went for the event, and i tell you it was crazy. These masquerades were dancing, jumping, shouting and even chasing people around, all in the bid to prove their might and instill fear in the hearts of spectators (all in good faith of course). There was a lot of scampering and hiding, I even got a swipe on my head towards the end of the day, and i later found out that i wasn't supposed to look the masquerade in its face, i ought to have kept my head down, in other words i got hit for being too bold. Besides that it was a fun day and i got to take pictures of my favorite masquerades, and here they are for your viewing pleasure.

Please forgive the amateur pictures, in between the running and hiding i didn't get to focus on my picture quality.

HAVE A LOVELY WEEKEND


SNC00074SNC00078
SNC00079
SNC00080SNC00085

SNC00087
SNC00091
SNC00082SNC00084
SNC00091SNC00089
SNC00094
SNC00033
And this is my big sister IFY hmm, she is going to kill me for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment